This website uses cookies. To read more about them, click 'cookies stored'. To accept our cookies, click the check box then press 'Continue'.

Borders Family History Society

Society Logo

Home Join
Us
Publications Research Maps &
Parishes
Forums Other
Websites
Contacts What's
On
Blog Help

Borders FHS Forum
Borders FHS Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Borders Family History
 People and Ancestry
 curry - scotch presbyterian
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

duncancurry

England
2 Posts

Posted - 26 February 2014 :  21:33:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am after some help if possible. My ancestors Thomas And Anne Curry, had 5 children baptised between 1815 and 1823, the 1st 3 of who were baptised at Lowick Scotch Presbyterian Church. I cannot find the birth or marriage records from either side of the border, for Thomas and Anne. This family eventually moved down to Shields and Newcastle. Thomas Curry is documented as a sailor.... but their 5 children were all born at Berrington Law.. a farm just outside of Berwick.

Could someone explain why a sailor lived in land? and any help in Thomas and Annes's marriage would be greatly appreciated.

DJCurry

Enid

2 Posts

Posted - 04 March 2014 :  14:19:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just suggestions:
Have you contacted the Northumberland and Durham Family history Society at Percy House in Newcastle? (www.ndfhs.org.uk) Although we do have quite an overlap in the Borders the birth registers are more likely to be in the Northumberland Archives at Woodhorn (Ashington)http://www.experiencewoodhorn.com/collections/.
As for where they lived - was his wife a farmer's daughter who returned home with her family. Though I agree one would expect a sailor to live closer to the water Lowick and Berrington are not really all that far from the coast (5 miles perhaps - easy on horse-back): did he sail out of Seahouses, Tweedmouth, Spittal or Berwick?
Enid
Go to Top of Page

duncancurry

England
2 Posts

Posted - 04 March 2014 :  18:38:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Enid Thankyou very much for taking time to make some suggestions. I have been a member and visited NDFHS, and also visited Woodhorn. I am thinking about visiting again, in the near future.
Your question of, where did he sail from? . is interesting, I have never looked. The only thread of him being a sailor is his occupation on one of his children's baptism records.
Do you know where I can check out sailing records, between 1800 and 1820 ? from that area.

thanks again for your note, it was much appreciated.
Duncan

DJCurry
Go to Top of Page

terianne

United Kingdom
137 Posts

Posted - 06 March 2014 :  00:17:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
have you checked out Berwick-upon-Tweed - is was a major port back in the day and Lowick is not that far to travel

Also try the Berwick & Morpeth Records Offices

Anne Turnbull
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Borders FHS Forum © 2000-06 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000