This website uses cookies. To read more about them, click 'cookies stored'. To accept our cookies, click the check box then press 'Continue'.

Borders Family History Society

Society Logo

Home Join
Us
Publications Research Maps &
Parishes
Forums Other
Websites
Contacts What's
On
Blog Help

Borders FHS Forum
Borders FHS Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Borders Family History
 Places
 Silverbuthall in Wilton
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pdilloway

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 29 June 2008 :  19:38:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone have information on Silverbuthall in Wilton. I have an Alexander Douglas who was baptised there in 1798. Thank you!

Penny Dilloway

Wardy

England
94 Posts

Posted - 03 July 2008 :  23:37:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Penny. There is a place called Wilton which is described (in my Bartholomew Gazeteer of Britain) as "W dist of Hawick" - I suppose you will know that Hawick (pronounced "Hoik")is a large Borders town in what was once Roxburghshire. There is nothing resembling Silverbuthall on my Ordnance Survey 1:50000 (about 1.25 inches = 1 mile) map, but if I can find a 1:25000 (2.5 inches = 1 mile) map of the area I'll have a look-see for it. If you like, I can email you a section of the map showing Wilton. My 1806 book "The Traveller's Guide Through Scotland And It's Islands" also mentions Wilton in a description of a journey from Edinburgh to Hawick. At less than 1 mile from Hawick it shows "Wilton, Lord Napier, and Kirk of Wilton...". Again, at the end of the chapter for Roxburghshire it shows under Chief Seats "Wilton, Lord Napier". Perhaps the above Kirk (church) was where your chap was baptised. The book also contains a description of Wilton, showing that there were "about 900 inhabitants in this parish, a considerable number of whom are employed in a carpet manufactory, and at incle-looms." It also says "The Duke of Buccleuch is the greatest proprietor" Wilton, Wilton Dean and Wiltonburn Hill all lie to the West of Hawick and Wilton Burn flows into the River Teviot which sort of bisects Hawick from the South West to the North East. Hope this info is of interest. Ed
Go to Top of Page

Wardy

England
94 Posts

Posted - 03 July 2008 :  23:47:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi again Penny. It would seem that Silverbuthall is (today at least) an AREA of Hawick as there is mention of a Silverbuthall Road and housing estate. Have a look at http://www.ettrickgraphics.com/hawick03.htm as well! Best wishes, Ed.
Go to Top of Page

pdilloway

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 05 July 2008 :  13:29:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much for the information. I was in the Scottish Borders in 2004. Unfortunately, I didn't visit Hawick or Wilton at the time as I didn't know then that my ancestor was born in Wilton. I loved looking at the pictures!

Penny Dilloway
Go to Top of Page

terianne

United Kingdom
135 Posts

Posted - 17 July 2008 :  19:28:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes Wilton is joined with Hawick nowadays but in the past was a Parish in its ownright - Silverbuthall is joined to Wilton - in the past Silverbuthall was a Farm adjacent to the Village of Wilton as were Stirches, Gallalaw and Burnfoot (now all parts of Hawick)As more Houses/Industrial units were built, the areas retained the name of the associated Farm.

Old Wilton Church was demolised along time ago along with the adjoining graveyard (some stones are grouped at the corner of the grass area)

It was along Prince's Street just across the road from the current Wilton Church.

Even today the old locals in Hawick say - if you are North of the Teviot your in Wilton and South your in Old Hawick.

Anne Turnbull
Go to Top of Page

Wardy

England
94 Posts

Posted - 23 July 2008 :  22:33:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Penny. Just been looking in my 1806 book again and under Hawick is mentioned ".....that Gavin Douglas the Scottish poet, was rector Hawick". I wonder if your Alexander is related? Ed
Go to Top of Page

Harry D. Watson

89 Posts

Posted - 01 September 2008 :  19:56:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Hawick ancestors mostly lived in Wilton, and my 4 x great-grandfather Thomas Welsh was coachman to Gilbert Chisholm Esq. of Stirches, a big house in the parish. At least he was until the Martinmas term (November) of 1807, when he collected his wages for the last quarter and disappeared into the sunset with an unknown woman, deserting his service and abandoning his wife and four children. When I read the Wanted notices in the Kelso Mail and Edinburgh Evening Courant of July 1808, I found out a lot about Thomas Welsh, even down to his physical appearance. That's when I discovered why I and some cousins on my mum's side of the family have red hair!

Harry

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Borders FHS Forum © 2000-06 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000