This website uses cookies. To read more about them, click 'cookies stored'. To accept our cookies, click the check box then press 'Continue'.

Borders Family History Society

Society Logo

Home Join
Us
Publications Research Maps &
Parishes
Forums Other
Websites
Contacts What's
On
Blog Help

Borders FHS Forum
Borders FHS Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Borders Family History
 People and Ancestry
 Dochertys in Borders
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

leemcscot

Scotland
3 Posts

Posted - 08 August 2014 :  14:13:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Two of my great grandparents were cousins and married in 1920 in Edinburgh. Their names were John Docherty and Annie Douglas.

John was born on 20/11/1900 in Peebles and died in Edinburgh on 07/10/1973. His parents were John Docherty Sr and Sarah Connolly.

Annie was born on 02/08/1899 in Hawick and died on 20/05/1975 in Bathgate. Her parents were Charles Douglas and Annie Docherty.

John Docherty Sr and Annie Docherty were brother and sister, and were both born sometime between 1878-1883.

I have also been informed that there is a connection to the Codonas (who did and still do run funfairs) because the Dochertys and Douglases were also travellers, but I haven't been able to validate this yet.

Anyone out there who is either a descendant of the same people or who knows where I can find out about this elusive line of my family: please contact me. I would be really keen to hear from you! Many thanks.

strath

New Zealand
46 Posts

Posted - 11 August 2014 :  03:10:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't resist a mention of Hawick!!
My research concludes that Anne Docherty b.circa 1878, Dalkeith Edinburgh (from 1881 Census) was the daughter of John Docherty (bc1853 Nothumberland) & Helen Codona, (b.1853 d.1891). who married in Edinburgh 6/12/1880 both aged 27 years and both living at 97 West Bon, Edinburgh (from marriage cert). They had other children before marrying also listed on the 1881 census including Anne's younger brother John Docherty (listed as aged 6 months on 1881 census)
John senior's occupation is given as Tinsmith & Helen's as Hawker of Soft Goods.
Helen's father was William Codona, Itinerant Violinist but on a later document, Showman.
William was married to Margaret McKellar who looks like his second wife.
John Docherty's parents were John Docherty & Jane McMillan.
Hope this helps with your research and best regards, Strath Stewart
Go to Top of Page

leemcscot

Scotland
3 Posts

Posted - 11 August 2014 :  13:53:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Strath

Thank you so much for this information.

Previous research on this family line led me to thinking that the parents of John Docherty (who you mentioned was 6 months old at the time of the 1881 census) were Robert Docherty and Elizabeth Wilson, but I do not recall where I got this from. I know from speaking to my grandfather as a child that there was a family link to the Codonas, which would suggest to me that the information you have kindly provided is more accurate. The difficulty is that they were travellers, so trying to find information on them is quite hard.

This will definitely give me something to go on - thank you once again! Are you a descendant of the same family line?

Regards

Lee
Go to Top of Page

strath

New Zealand
46 Posts

Posted - 12 August 2014 :  01:22:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Lee,
No relation at all just noted the Hawick connection.
On the 1881 Census, 8 Church Bdgs, Edinburgh St Giles Midlothian is listed the family, John Docherty 28 yrs, Ellen Docherty 28 yrs, Jane Docherty 10 yrs, Mary Docherty 6 yrs, Anne Docherty 3 yrs & John Docherty 6 Mo.
This seems to tie in with the marriage cert. of 6/12/1880 Canongate, Edinburgh for a John Docherty & Helen Codona both given as 27 yrs.
On the marriage cert. the parents are John Docherty & Jane McMillan and William Codona & Margaret McKellar.
I've found a website for the University of Sheffield, "National Fairground Archive"
http://www.nfa.dept.shef.ac./uk/index.html
It has contact details & may be able to give you more info on the Codonas. There is also a "Codona & Farmer Family Tree" on Ancestry.com if you are a member.
Good hunting & best regards, Strath.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Borders FHS Forum © 2000-06 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000