New premises open - we have moved ! Extended opening ! More about our Archive and Search Room.
The united Parishes of Whitsome and Hilton are situated in south east Berwickshire, being bounded on the north by the Parishes of Edrom and Hutton, on the east by the Parish of Hutton, on the south by the Parishes of Ladykirk and Swinton and on the west by the Parishes of Swinton and Edrom.
Old Parish Birth Records exist from 1724 to 1854.
1841 census Whitsome.
Except as undernoted the Memorial Inscriptions have not been transcribed but note content of Village Website.
See our sales list for full details and cost of postage.
|Whitsome Parish Church|
Article: History of Whitsome by Lesley A Robertson.
Pre 1855 Memorial inscriptions of Berwickshire by David Cargill.
The Churches and Churchyards of Berwickshire by G.A.C. Binnie.
C.D. The Churches and Churchyards of Berwickshire by James Robson 1896.
Index to Particular Register of Sasines for Berwickshire.
Pigot's 1837 Directory of Berwickshire and Roxburghshire.
Rutherford's Southern Counties Register and Directory 1867.
C.D. Slater's Directory of Berwickshire 1903.
County Directory of Scotland 1912 - Borders Towns and Villages.
Title deeds relating to land at Whitsome - particularly the Heriot, Cunningham and Weatherall families.
Please note that the heading Author includes persons who have compiled or transcribed records; and that the topics indexed, and the synopses are subjective opinions.
See the Sales List to buy copies of the magazines containing articles in which you're interested.
|Title||Synopsis||Size Description||Issue No||Author|
|Ontario Genealogical Society summer camp||Where to research in Ontario for your Canadian cousins.||2 pages or more||37||D. C. Jeffrey|
Whitsome Parish Church;
Minutes; 1834 to 1844, 1847 to 1870 ref CH2/977.
also the following MAPS;
Plan of Easter Laws and Ravelaw (19th. century) ref; RHP.1207.
Plan of Whitsome Newton 1823 ref; RHP.3625/1-2.
Whitsome Website contains photographs and transcriptions of gravestones in Whitsome Churchyard plus much background information on the Parish.
First Statistical Account by the Rev. Mr. George Cupples (click "browse scanned pages" and insert Parish name).
Second Statistical Account by the Rev. Mr. Adam Landels (click "browse scanned pages" and insert Parish name).
RCHAMS website Scotland's Places contains details of;
Farm Horse tax 1797-1798.
Medical Officer's of Health Reports 1891.
Land Ownership Commission Report 1872 -1873. (available on C.D. in Society Archives).
1841 census: Whitsome, Laws, Newton, Ravelaw, Longrigg, Whitsomehill, Laws, Leetside, Herriot Bank,
Dykethead, Hilton, Wynnfield, Jardinfield, Eaglehall, Frenchlaw.
1851 census: Whitsome, Herriotbank, Leetside, Frenchlaw, Dykethead, Muirhouse, Hilton, Wynnfield, Jardinfield, Eagle-hall. Red Row, Whitsome Hill, East Newton, West Newton, Laws Muir, Wester Laws, Ravelaw, Langrig, Heritage.
1861 census: Whitsome, Harriat Bank, Leetside, Frenchlaw, Dykethead, Hilton. Muir House, Winfield, Jardenfield, Red Row, Whitsomehill, East Newton, West Newton, Southlaws, Whitsomelaws, Ravelaw, Langrigg, Heritage, Crofts.
The population has been recorded as follows: 1755 - 399, 1801 - 560, 1811 - 536, 1821 - 661, 1831 - 664, 1841 - 622, 1851 - 612, 1861 - 1067.