This website uses cookies. To read more about them, click 'cookies stored'. To accept our cookies, click the check box then press 'Continue'.

Borders Family History Society

Society Logo
Home Join
Publications Research Maps &
Blog Other
Contacts What's

Our archive and search room is now open on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10am to 4pm. Keep up to date via our Facebook page and Twitter.


Berwickshire map

The fishing port of Eyemouth is the smallest parish in Berwickshire. The North Sea lies to the north and east, with the Parish of Ayton on the south and the Parish of Coldingham to the west.

In 1881 a ferocious storm hit the coast of Berwickshire which sank most of the Eyemouth fishing fleet and resulted in over 180 deaths. No family in Eyemouth was untouched by Black Friday.

Old Parish Records cover the periods:

  • Births: 1710 to 1854.
  • Marriages: 1732 to 1854.
The former Eyemouth Parish Church taken from the harbour. The former Eyemouth Parish Church taken from the harbour.

Sales List

Only pre 1855 memorial records have been transcribed (see below).

See our sales list for full details and cost of postage.

Volumes available for consultation within our Archive

Magazine Articles

Please note that the heading Author includes persons who have compiled or transcribed records; and that the topics indexed, and the synopses are subjective opinions.
See the Sales List to buy copies of the magazines containing articles in which you're interested.

Title Synopsis Size Description Issue No Author
New Research Facility at Eyemouth MuseumDetails of new research facilities available at Eyemouth Museum and a project to determine the names of old wynds and vennels recorded in the 1841 census.1 page or more 80 
Eyemouth Local/Family History CentreSome notes on the Eyemouth Family History Centre and at 'Virtual Experience Pod' at Eyemouth Fort.2 pages or more 84 
John Whillis Exhibition, EyemouthSome notes on the John Whillis Exhibition, Eyemouth and the associated exhibition on sailing ships connected including the 'Cutty Sark'.1 page or more 91 
Remembering a Soldier from the Boer WarA tracing of the history of Arthur William Swanston of Marshall Meadows commemorated in Eyemouth churchyard, who died in 1900 in the Boer War in South Africa. Swanston House (now a hotel) was owned by James Swanston (wealthy merchant) and his wife Christian (6th daughter of John Turnbull, fish curer in Eyemouth). They also set up a home in the Canary Islands, and a home in London. John was their eldest son and married Fanny Elizabeth Nash in Kensington, and they often visited their widowed mother in Marshall Meadows. Arthur was their 3rd child, who showed athletic and military prowess and was educated at Loretto School Musselburgh, and Jesus College, Cambridge University, rowing for the university. He served as a 2nd Lieutenant in the VIth Dragoons, but was killed by a sniper's bullet in Mpumalanga, South Africa 9/Oct/1900 at 25, whilst trying to save the life of a trooper, and was buried there in a marked grave. His fiancÚe sent flowers every year until the 1960s; the children of a local school have taken over the ceremony and leave flowers and sing 'My bonny lies over the ocean' every year since 2000 when the story was uncovered by Ettie Bierman. He is also remembered in a memorial brass tablet in Berwick in the parish church.1 page or more 105Colin Miller 
Women of GunsgreenAn account of an exhibition entitled 'Women of Gunsgreen' with information on women who resided at or had connections with Gunsgreen House in Eyemouth.1 page or more 85Ronald Morrison 
Memories of AytonMrs Patricia Payne was so interested in the articles on 'The Ayton Bard' that she felt the need to record some of her memories of Ayton before all was forgotten.less than 1 page 18Patricia Payne 
A Berwickshire SchoolmasterJean Smithers has contributed this "nugget" from her investigations into the history of one of the strands of her ancestry.1 page or more 11Jean Smithers 
The Ayton BardThis is in issues 16 and 17. Robert Mennon was a well known Borders bard and contributed to many Scottish weeklies.5 pages or more 16A. Michael Mennim 
Gunsgreen House, EyemouthNotes on the book "Eustace the Outcast" by David Pae also on the will of James Swanston of Eyemouth containing what is thought to be a list of customers for illicit produce including the Rev. Robert Bowmaker, minister, Duns.1 page or more 78Ronald Morrison 

Map of Eyemouth from UK Great Britain, Ordnance Survey one-inch to the mile (1:63,360), 'Hills' edition, 1885-1903
by kind permission of the National Library of Scotland.
Use the control at the top left of the map to zoom in or out and drag the map left, right, up, or down as you wish.

Map of Eyemouth from UK Ordnance Survey Historical Maps from 1919-1947
by kind permission of the National Library of Scotland.
Use the control at the top left of the map to zoom in or out and drag the map left, right, up, or down as you wish.

Other Sources

Scottish Borders Archives The Hub, Hawick

Poor Law

These records are being indexed and transcribed by the Society.

School Records

The Scottish National Archives, Edinburgh

Eyemouth Parish Church (Ref - CH2/1239)

Eyemouth United Secession Church (Ref - CH3/1235)

St. John's Free Church

Berwickshire Naturalists' Club

The Southern Annual


Town Website.
Casualties of the Eyemouth Disaster
   (There are several other websites dealing with the loss of the fishing fleet in 1851)
RCHAMS website Scotland's Places contains details of

Place and Farm names in Census Records

1841 census: Eyemouth, Pleasents, Eyemouth Mill, Linthill, Barracks, Shore, Quay, Saltgreens.

1851 census: Eyemouth, Netherbyres, Eyemouth Mill, Highlaws, Linthill.

1861 census: Eyemouth, Garden Heads, Linthill, Netherbyres, Quayside, Saltgreens, Morningside, Bridgend.


The population has been recorded as follows:

Berwickshire map