This website uses cookies. To read more about them, click 'cookies stored'. To accept our cookies, click the check box then press 'Continue'.


Borders Family History Society

Society Logo
Home Join
Us
Publications Research Maps &
Parishes
Forums Other
Websites
Contacts What's
On
Blog Help

Our Exhibition, Archive and Search Room will be closed from Saturday, 20 December 2014 to Sunday, 4 January 2015 inclusive.


Langton

Berwickshire map

Langton is a centrally situated Parish in the County of Berwick being bounded on the north by the Parish of Duns, on the east by the Parishes of Edrom, and Polwarth, on the south by the Parishes of Polwarth and Longformacus and on the west by the Parish of Longformacus.

Old Parish Birth Records exist from 1728 to 1854.
Marriage Records from 1730 to 1775 and from 1821 to 1854.
Death records exist from 1731 to 1773.

Sales List

1841 census Langton.
1851 census Langton.
1861 census Langton.

The Society has not as yet recorded the Langton Memorial Inscriptions although a copy done privately is available in our Archive.

See our sales list for full details and cost of postage.

Langton Parish Church Langton Parish Church

Volumes available for consultation within our Archive

Memorial Inscription Gavinton Churchyard.
Pre 1855 Memorial inscriptions of Berwickshire by David Cargill.
The Churches and Churchyards of Berwickshire by G.A.C. Binnie.
C.D. The Churches and Churchyards of Berwickshire by James Robson 1896.
Index to Particular Register of Sasines for Berwickshire.
Pigot's 1837 Directory of Berwickshire and Roxburghshire.
Rutherford's Southern Counties Register and Directory 1867.
C.D. Slater's Director of Berwickshire 1903.
County Directory of Scotland 1912 - Borders Towns and Villages.

Magazine Articles;

Please note that the heading Author includes persons who have compiled or transcribed records; and that the topics indexed, and the synopses are subjective opinions.
See the Sales List to buy copies of the magazines containing articles in which you're interested.


Title Synopsis Size Description Issue No Author
Cockburns of that ilkThe origins of Cockburns in Berwickshire3 pages or more 36Russell Wilson Cockburn 



Map of Langton from Quarter-inch to the mile, Scotland, 1921-1923 or One-inch to the mile, Popular edition, Scotland, 1920-1930
by kind permission of the National Library of Scotland.
Use the control at the top left of the map to zoom in or out and drag the map left, right, up, or down as you wish.

Other Records;

Scottish Borders Archives and Family History Centre, The Hub Hawick hold the following records;

The Scottish National Archives Edinburgh hold following;

Langton Parish Church;

Langton Free Church;

Berwickshire Naturalists' Club has published the following articles;

Websites;

Dunse History Society holds Articles of Roup and various records and photographs relating to Langton House also various photographs of Gavinton Village.

Plans of the Estate of Langton 1774 to 1821 by Alexander Low.

The Lillies of Langton The website of the The Lillie Family, blacksmiths, Gavinton.

First Statistical Account by the Rev. Mr. Alexander Girvan. (click "browse scanned pages" and insert Parish name).

Second Statistical Account by the Rev. John Brown D. D. (click "browse scanned pages" and insert Parish name.)

Place and Farm names in Census Records;

1841 census: Langton, Gavinton, Haininrigg, Choicelee, Polwarth Toll, Woodend, Lady Flat, Girtrig, Middlefield, Old Craes, Whitehill, Langton Mill, Scotstown, Pouterlynie, Upper Wellrig, Hardens, Stobswood, Blacksmill, Blackrig, Langton Lees, Raecleughead, Langton Mains.
1851 census: Langton, Woodend, Choicelee, Langton Lees, Blackrig, Blacksmill, Stobswood, Raecleughhead, Hardens, Upper Wellrig, Langton Mains, Haininrig, Scotstown, Pouterlynie, Whitehill, Craes, Middlefield, Girtrig, Lady Flat, Gavinton.
1861 census: Langton, Gavinton, Woodend, Choicelea, Langton Lees, Blackrig, Stobswood, Raecleughhead, Hardens, Wellrig, Haininrig, Scotstown, Pouterlynie, Whitehill, Middlefield, Craes, Gitrig, Lady Flat.

Population;

The population has been recorded as follows: 1755 - 290, 1793 - 435, 1801 - 428, 1811 - 418, 1821 - 477, 1831 - 443, 1841 - 479, 1851 - 484, 1861 - 502.