This website uses cookies. To read more about them, click 'cookies stored'. To accept our cookies, click the check box then press 'Continue'.


Borders Family History Society

Society Logo
Home Join
Us
Publications Research Maps &
Parishes
Forums Other
Websites
Contacts What's
On
Blog Help

Our Exhibition, Archive and Search Room will be closed from Saturday, 20 December 2014 to Sunday, 4 January 2015 inclusive. See the link for our January and February openings.

Newlands

Peeblesshire map

Newlands parish is in the north of Peeblesshire on the border with Midlothian. It is bounded on the east by Eddleston. Kirkurd, Stobo and Lyne are to to the south and West Linton to the west. The church is on the banks of Lyne Water with few houses in the immeidiate vicinity. The present building was erected in 1838. The ruins of the original Saxon & Gothic church are close by. The parish war memorial is on the wall of the church. Drochil Castle, which dates from the late 16th century stands above the junction of Lyne Water and Tarth Water. The parishes of Newlands and Kirkurd have been combined and this new parish is linked with West Linton

Old Parish Records cover the periods:

  • Births: 1661-1854 (Mothers' names are not recorded until about 1809)
  • Marriages: 1677-1790, 1838-1854
  • Deaths: No entries
Newlands Old Parish Church Newlands Old Parish Church

Sales List

(see sales list for full details and cost of postage)

Volumes available for consultation within our Archive

Magazine Articles

Please note that the heading Author includes persons who have compiled or transcribed records; and that the topics indexed, and the synopses are subjective opinions.
See the Sales List to buy copies of the magazines containing articles in which you're interested.


Title Synopsis Size Description Issue No Author
Two stories of 19th century emigration to Australia and New ZealandTwo stories from the 19th century of emigration to the New World. Andrew Rutherford and his family.less than 1 page 12Elsie Ahrens 



Map of Newlands from Quarter-inch to the mile, Scotland, 1921-1923 or One-inch to the mile, Popular edition, Scotland, 1920-1930
by kind permission of the National Library of Scotland.
Use the control at the top left of the map to zoom in or out and drag the map left, right, up, or down as you wish.

Other Sources

Scottish Borders Archives, The Hub Hawick

School Records

The National Archives of Scotland

Newlands kirk session records (Ref - CH2/543)

Newlands United Presbyterian Church records (Ref - CH3/373)

When an unpopular minister was settled in 1791, some parish members left the Established Church and obtained supply of sermon from the Relief Presbytery of Edinburgh and built a church in 1793.

Websites

Newlands Old Parish Church
19th century account of Newlands

Place and Farm names appearing in census records

1841 census: Newlands, Romanno Bridge, Dovecot, Noblehall,Newlands, Whiteside, Flemington Mill, Drochill, Old Stevenston, New Stevenston, Drochill Castle, Scotston Bank, Scotston, Scotston Rig, Scotston Entry Head, Scotston Park, Mountain's Cross, Callands, Nether Callands, Bordlands, Linton Road End, Figland, Greenhead, Romanno, Halmyre Deans, Stony Knowe, West Halmyre, Upper Halmyre, Nether Halmyre, Woodend, New Kaimhouse,Old Kaimhouse, Boghouse, Waterside,Romanno Bank, Goldies Mill, Damside, Hamilton Hall, Noble House, Bogend, Woodend, Grassfield, Plewlands Mains, Plewlands, Macbiehill, Sunny side, Dodhead, Coal Lodge, Bents, Lime kilns, Cabbagehall, Bankhead, Lint Mill, Parkend, Whitemuir, Loanhead, Grange, Lamancha, Madrissa, Cowdenburn, Whim House, Roorinlees, Blinkbonnie, West Deans, East Deans, Mitchelhill, West Leadburn, East Leadburn, Blaircochrane, Keltgreen

1851 census: Newlands, Lamancha, Parkend, Whitmoor, Plewland Mains, Noblehouse, Grassfield, Roodineys, Easter Deans, Blinkbonnie, Wester Deans, Mitchellhill, Wester Leadburn, Wester Deans, Easter Leadburn, Old Smithy, Blaircochrane, Whim House, Whim Gate, Whim Fram, Cowdenburn,Goldie's Mill, Romano, Fingland, Deans, Hallmyre, Over Hallmyre, Grange, Lamancha, Pond, Macbiehill, Bankhead, Bent's Quarry, Bents, Sunnyside, Dodhead, Plewland, Bogend, Woodend, Murrayshall, Kamhouse, Park Neuk, Stevenston, Flemington Mill, Whiteside, Noblehall, Romanno Bridge, Dovecote, Greenhead, Damside, Stonyknowe, Boghouse, Waterside, Old Kaim, Borland Kaims, Hamilton Hall, Borland, Mountain Cross, Callands, Drochill Castle, Upper Drochill, West Drochill, Scotston Bank, Scotston, Blityth Bridge, Scotston Rig, Scotston Park Nuick.

1861 census: Newlands, Tilery, Parkend, Whitmoor, Plewland Mains, Noblehouse, Grassmoor, Roodilees, Wester Deans, Eeaster Deans, Blinkbonnie,Mitchelhill, Easter Deans, Old Smithery, Blaircochrane, Whim, Cowdenburn, Madrisa, Romanno Bank, Goldies Mill, Damside, Waterside, Broomhouse,Boghouse,Old Camhouse,New Camhouse, Woodend, Plewlands, Sunnyside, Hedgend, Bents, Quarry House, Cabbage Hall,Bankhead, Macbiehill, Waulk Mill, Grange, LamanchaStoneyknowe,Halmyre, Stevenson, Flemington, Whiteside, Noblehall, Romanno Bridge, Dovecot, Greenhead, Fingland, Romanno Mains, Halmyre Dean Upper halmyre Goldies Mill, Callands Gate, Old Callands, Drochil, Ashdod, Scotston Knowe, Scotston ,Knocknows, Scotston Rigg, Castle Craig, Parkneuk, Mountain Cross, Bordland Entry, Hamilton Hall, Bordland Kaims, Acorn Lodge, Borland Bridgend.

Population

Here are some figures showing the parish's population through time:

Peeblesshire Map