Our Exhibition, Archive and Search Room will be closed from Saturday, 20 December 2014 to Sunday, 4 January 2015 inclusive.
Earlston is situated in the south east corner of Berwickshire being bounded on the north by the Parishes of Gordon and Hume, on the east by the Parishes of Hume, Nenthorn, Smailholm and Merton, on the south by the Parish of Melrose and on the west by the Parishes of Legerwood and Gordon.
Old Parish Birth Records exist from 1694 to 1854.
1841 census Earlston.
See our sales list for full details and cost of postage.
|Earlston Parish Church|
Pre 1855 Memorial inscriptions of Berwickshire by David Cargill.
The Churches and Churchyards of Berwickshire by G.A.C. Binnie.
C.D. The Churches and Churchyards of Berwickshire by James Robson 1896.
Index to Particular Register of Sasines for Berwickshire.
Pigot's 1837 Directory of Berwickshire and Roxburghshire.
Rutherford's Southern Counties Register and Directory 1867.
County Directory of Scotland 1912 - Borders Towns and Villages.
Please note that the heading Author includes persons who have compiled or transcribed records; and that the topics indexed, and the synopses are subjective opinions.
See the Sales List to buy copies of the magazines containing articles in which you're interested.
|Title||Synopsis||Size Description||Issue No||Author|
|Andrew Currie, Border Sculptor||An account of the life of Andrew Currie, sculptor (1812-1891) born at Howford Farm Yarrow. Won commissions for several well known public monuments including Mungo Park in Selkirk, the Ettrick Shepherd at St. Mary's Loch, two characters on the Scott monument in Edinburgh and Robert the Bruce at Stirling Castle. Married Isabella Hardie daughter of a Denholm stocking-maker and moved to Earlston to work as a sculptor. A full account of his life and works||5 pages or more||78||Bob Johnstone|
The 20 most common surnames on gravestones recorded by us in the Earlston monumental inscriptions volume are (number of gravestones in brackets): SCOTT (56), WILSON (39), YOUNG (33), THOMSON (33), SMITH (32), BELL (25), PRINGLE (25), KERR (24), FAIRBAIRN (24), SIMPSON (23), ROBERTSON (22), BROWN (22), TAIT (21), ANDERSON (21), HUNTER (21), DOUGLAS (21), JOHNSTON (21), WALKER (19), OLIVER (17), WHITE (15).
Earlston Parish Church;
Earlston East General Associate Church;
Earlston West Relief Church;
Associate Presbytery of Earlston;
also the following MAP;
First Statistical Account by the Rev. Mr. Laurence Johnston (click "browse scanned pages and insert Parish name").
Second Statistical Account by The Rev. David William Gordon (click "browse scanned pages and insert Parish name").
RCHAMS website Scotland's Places contains details of;
Farm Horse tax 1797-1798.
Medical Officer's of Health Reports 1891.
Land Ownership Commission Report 1872 -1873. (available on C.D. in Society Archives).
1841 census: Earlston, Haughhead Mill, Kidgate, East Townend Farm, Standingstone, Purveshaugh, Fans. Loanend Heathery Hall, Darlingfield, Lightfields, Lightfield Stead, Coltcrooks, Whitehill, Mellerstain,
Rachelfield, Covehouse, Marchfield, Yarlside, Whitecleughwell, Shielfield, Georgefield.
1851 census: Earlston, Haughhead Mill, Mid Mill, Rhymer's Mill, Standingstone, Kidgate, East Townend Farm, Purveshaugh, Fans. Loanend Heathery Hall, Darlingfield, Henless, Lightfield, Lightfield Stead, Coltcrooks, Whitehill, Mellerstain, Rachelfield, Covehouse, Marchfield, Yarlside, Shielfield, Whitefield of Cowdenknowes, Georgefield, Grizzelfield, Huntslaw, Summerfield, Blinkbonnie, Carolside, Bellavisto, Cowdenknowes, Cowdenknowes Mains, Crossrig, Park, Redpath, Kirklands, Craighouse
. 1861 census: Earlston, Haughhead, Kidgate, Huntshaw, Hunshaw, Sommerfield, Grizzlefield, Standingstone, Purveshaugh, Fans, Nor Neuk, Darlingfield, Heatheryhall, Henless, Lightfield, Mossside, Coltcrooks, Whitehill, Mellerstain, Rachelfield, Covehouse, Yarlside, Whitefield, Georgefield, Blinkbonny.Carolside, Bellavista, Haughhead, Mid Mill, Rhymer's Mill, Craigsford, Cowdenknowes, Redpath, Kirklands, Craighouse, Beanrig, Park, Crossrig.
The population has been recorded as follows:1755 - 1197, 1791 - 1351, 1801 - 1478, 1811 - 1528, 1821 - 1703, 1831 - 1710, 1841 - 1756, 1851 - 1819, 1861 - 1825.