The Parish of Lauder is situated in the north east of Berwickshire, being bounded on the north by the County of Midlothian, on the east by the Parishes of Longformacus, Westruther and Legerwood, on the south by the Parish of Melrose and on the west by the Parishes of Stow and Channelkirk.
Old Parish Birth Records exist from1680 to 1716 and from 1720 to 1854.
1841 census Lauder.
See our sales list for full details and cost of postage.
|Lauder Parish Church|
Lauder and Lauderdale by A Thomson 2001.
Protocol Book of Robert Wedderop Lauder 1543 to 1557.
Through Time and Place - a History of Lauder by Andrew Mercer.
Pre 1855 Memorial Inscriptions of Berwickshire by David Cargill.
C.D. The Churches and Churchyards of Berwickshire by James Robson 1896.
The Churches and Churchyards of Berwickshire by G.A.C. Binnie.1995.
Index to Particular Register of Sasines for Berwickshire.
C.D. Berwickshire, Banffshire, Peeblesshire and Selkirkshire Trades Directory 1837.
Rutherford's Southern Counties Register and Directory 1867.
C.D. Slater's Directory of Berwickshire 1903.
County Directory of Scotland 1912 - Borders Towns and Villages.
Please note that the heading Author includes persons who have compiled or transcribed records; and that the topics indexed, and the synopses are subjective opinions.
See the Sales List to buy copies of the magazines containing articles in which you're interested.
|Title||Synopsis||Size Description||Issue No||Author|
|A Case for the Commissary||The amount of information found on any particular family is a matter of luck but time spent will be rewarding.||4 pages or more||33||Rosemary Bigwood|
|The Flowers of the Forest--Borderers who fell at Flodden||The Fletcher brothers from Selkirk and were they at Flodden? Probably.||1 page or more||29||Andrew Cockburn|
|Whiteslade, Berwickshire, and its Owners||Many have seen this ruin on the way from Greenlaw to Lauder, and often wondered about the history of this once great fortress. This article covers it magnificently.||2 pages or more||31||G.M.S. Lauder Frost|
|A Nostalgic Visit to Lauder and Channelkirk||A report pf the author's return from South Africa , his attendance at a late night Church service in Lauder, the erection of a plaque and his family connections with the area.||3 pages or more||82||Prof. Charles Wait|
|William Dick (1849 - 1932)||Account of William Dick, a blacksmith in Fountainhall and his family||4 pages or more||63||Margaret Dick|
|The Chisholm Highland Connection||The story of the Chisholm family, their involvement in medieval wars and their move from the Borders to the Highlands.||5 pages or more||73||Gregory Lauder-Frost|
|Robert Lauder of that Ilk||This is the story of the background and demise of Robert Lauder of that ilk (d.1598), one of the last to be recorded with that appellation.||3 pages or more||29||G.M.S. Lauder-Frost|
|Coldingham mortcloth records||The mortcloth records are fascinating as they list every occasion when a mortcloth was hired out for a burial. This covers the Coldingham mortcloth.||1 page or more||28||Vivienne S. Dunstan|
|Lowland Scots in Prussia||Absorbing account of Scots mainly in Danzig and Konigsberg from 15th to 17th centuries. A lot of names recorded.||5 pages or more||45||G.M.S.Lauder-Frost|
|The Days of Our Youth - Memories of Melrose||This article has been extracted from a much longer memoir that John Dick wrote when he retired around 1950. He was born in 1889, the second son of William Dick, an ironmonger in Melrose and his wife Isobella Lauder. He emigrated to Canada as a young man where he eventually became the Chief Cost Accountant for Sun Life Assurance Company. John served in the Canadian Expeditionary Force in World War I as a quarter-master sergeant. Although he was twice married he had no children.||7 pages or more||67||John Dick|
|Cousin Fred from Hawick||Problems tracing the history of a Dickson family who had lived in the Lauder area from the 17th century,||3 pages or more||65||Jim Dickson|
|Lauder of Edrington,the castle and early references||The history of the Lauder's from when they owned the Bass Rock to when they were custodians of Berwick on Tweed castle.||5 pages or more||41||Gregory Lauder Frost|
The 20 most common surnames on gravestones recorded by us in the Lauder monumental inscriptions volume are (number of gravestones in brackets): WILSON (46), SCOTT (39), BROWN (33), THOMSON (31), DICKSON (31), MURRAY (25), HARDIE (22), HUNTER (22), HALLIDAY (20), FAIRBAIRN (20), NISBET (20), SMITH (19), ROBERTSON (19), REDPATH (19), HENDERSON (19), BELL (18), LOTHIAN (18), YOUNG (18), WATSON (17), FALCONER (16).
Lauder Parish Church;
Lauder Associate Session (Burgher);
Lauder Associate Congregation Church;
Lauder Free Church;
Records of the Lauderdale Branch of the Educational Institute of Scotland ref; GD342.
also the following Maps;
Lauder Burgh - contains a wide range of local information including a general history of the Burgh.
First Statistical Account by the Rev. Dr. James Ford (click "browse scanned pages" and insert Parish name).
Second Statistical Account by the Rev Peter Cosens (click "browse scanned pages" and insert Parish name).
RCHAMS website Scotland's Places contains details of;
Farm Horse tax 1797-1798.
Medical Officer's of Health Reports 1891.
Land Ownership Commission Report 1872 -1873. (available on C.D. in Society Archives).
1841census: Lauder, Stonyford, Walk Mill, Barns, St. Leonards,Chapel, Upper Kedslie, Kedslie, Hawickshiel, Woodheads,
Lauder Mill, Wyndhead, Blackburn, Shielfield, Blackchester, Pilmuir, Kirkstead, Trabroun, Whitelaw, Ladypart, Muircleugh,
Allan Bank, Boghall, Longhope, Tullishill, Dodhouse, How, Longcroft, Soonhope, Easter Addenston, Wester Addenston, Cleekhimin,
Farmfoot, Thirlestane, Newmills, Newbigging, Burncastle, Earnscleugh, Hoggs Burn, Lylestone, Old Lylestone, Lyleston Mill,
Lauder Haugh, Midburn, Waterloo, Norton, Huntington, Windbank, Eagerhope, Broadshawrigg, Howbog, Snowdon, Wantonwalls, Westmains,
Eastmains, Heugh, Blyth, Thirlestane Mill.
1851census: Lauder, Farmfoot, Addinstone, Swonhope, Lockie's Lodge, Dodhouse, Tollishill, Longhope, Boghall, Thirlstane, Midburn, Haugh, Newmills, Lylestone Mill, Cleek-him-in Toll, Lylestone, Old Lylestone, Longcroft, Glenburnie, Bermuda, Earnscleugh, Burncastle, Newbiggingwalls, Newbigging, Huntington, Norton, Luggy, Wantonwalls, Westmains, Eastmains, Thirlstone, Snawdon, Heugh, Knowhead, Blyth, Howbogg, Broadshawrigg, Woodheads, Kedslie, Chapel Gate, Chapel, Hawickshiel, St. Leonards, Lauder Barns, Burnmill, Wyndhead, Sandyford, Waukmill, Eagle Gate, Waterloo, Row, Allan Bank, Muircleugh, Ladypart, Whitelaw, Trabrown, Pilmer, Blankchester, Shielfield, Lammers Lodge, Midburn.
1861 census: Lauder, Allan Bank, Muircleugh, Whitelaw, Ladypart, Trabrownhill, Trabrown, Inchkeith, Pilmuir, Shealfield, Blackburn, Haugh, Newmills, Midburn Check Bar, Midburn Toll, Thirlestane, Walkmill, Stonyfoord, Woodheads, Hawickshiel, Chapel Mains, Kedslie, St.Leonards, Lauder Barns, Luggie, Norton, Huntington, New Bigging, Burncastle, Cheekimin, Lyleston, Wester Addinston, Easter Addinston, Longcroft, Glenburnie, Tollishill Howe, Dodhouse, Boghall, Tollishill, Langhope, Farmfoot, Drommondshall, Wantonwalls, Earnscleugh, Bermuda, Blythrig, Broadshaughrig, Howbog, Blyth, Heugh, Thirlestane Mill, Snowdon, Eastmains, Westmains, Harryburn, Burn Mill.
The population has been recorded as follows: 1755 - 1714, 1801 - 1760, 1811 - 1742, 1821 - 1845, 1831 - 2063, 1841 - 2198, 1851 - 2154. 1861 - 2198.