Our Archive and Search Room is open every Tuesday and Thursday from 10am to 4pm; and by appointment only on Mondays from 6pm to 8pm and on Fridays from 10am to 4pm.
From March to October, we're open without appointment on Mondays from 6pm to 8pm and on Fridays from 10am to 4pm.
The Parish of Longformacus is situated in the north of Berwickshire in the Lammermuir Hills. It is bordered on the north by the County of Midlothian, on the east by the Parishes of Abbey St. Bathans, Duns and Langton, on the south by the Parishes of Greenlaw and Westruther and on the west by the Parish of Lauder.
Old Parish Birth Records exist from 1654 to 1854.
1841 census Longformacus.
See our sales list for full details and cost of postage.
|Longformacus Parish Church|
Pre 1855 Memorial inscriptions of Berwickshire by David Cargill.
The Churches and Churchyards of Berwickshire by G.A.C. Binnie.
C.D. The Churches and Churchyards of Berwickshire by James Robson 1896.
Glimpses into the Past in Lammermuir by Norrie McLeish.
Index to Particular Register of Sasines for Berwickshire.
Pigot's 1837 Directory of Berwickshire and Roxburghshire.
Rutherford's Southern Counties Register and Directory 1867.
C.D. Slater's Directory of Berwickshire 1903.
County Directory of Scotland 1912 - Borders Towns and Villages.
Please note that the heading Author includes persons who have compiled or transcribed records; and that the topics indexed, and the synopses are subjective opinions.
See the Sales List to buy copies of the magazines containing articles in which you're interested.
|Title||Synopsis||Size Description||Issue No||Author|
|Know your parish Longformacus||The history, and how Longformacus got its name. Its population and parish records.||1 page or more||21|
|Longformacus Free Church||Discovery of a poem written in 1869 relating to Longformacus Free Church.||2 pages or more||91|
|Abbey St Bathans, Cranshaws and Longformacus||A brief description of 3 neighbouring parishes and the records available.||2 pages or more||73|
|To Follow the Dogs and Carry the Stick||An account of life and shepherding in the Lammermuirs before and during and immediately after the Second World War.||1 page or more||90||Bob Jaffray|
|Poor Relief in the 1840s||A review of the operation of the poor relief in the early 19th century. It includes the size of the allowances paid and an estimate of the cost of living at the time.||4 pages or more||71||Peter Munro|
|Longformacus||A cautionary tale from 1871 and some extracts from the school log book,||2 pages or more||73|
The 20 most common surnames on gravestones recorded by us in the Longformacus monumental inscriptions volume are (number of gravestones in brackets): BROWN (21), WILSON (8), FORTUNE (7), CRAIK (7), SMITH (6), ANDERSON (6), SCOTT (6), PURVES (5), BUCKHAM (5), PATERSON (5), ELLIOT (5), TROTTER (4), TAIT (4), TURNBULL (4), JOHNSTON (4), MILLER (4), MACK (4), MOFFAT (4), RANKIN (4), THOMSON (4).
Longformacus Parish Church;
Longformacus Free Church;
First Statistical Account by the Rev. Mr. Selby Ord (click "browse scanned pages" and insert Parish name).
Second Statistical Account by the Rev. Henry Riddell (click "browse scanned pages" and insert Parish name).
RCHAMS website Scotland's Places contains details of;
Farm Horse tax 1797-1798.
Medical Officer's of Health Reports 1891.
Land Ownership Commission Report 1872 -1873 (available in Society Archives).
1841 census: Longformacus, Caldra, Otterburn, Byrecleugh, Trottingshaw, Horsecupcleugh, Wrinklaw, Dronshiel, Kippetlaw,
Cattleshiel, Redpath, Dyeshaugh, Elmford, Smiddyhill, Windshiel, Felcleugh, Rigfoot, Whitchester, Blackerston, Retreat, Whareburn.
1851 census: Longformacus, Byrecleugh, Trottingshaw, Dye Bank, Horseupcleugh, Cattleshiel, Muirton, Caldra, Dronshiel, Otterburn, Whitchester, Rigfoot, Dick's Hall, Ellmford, Windshiel, Elmhaugh, Redpath, Felcleugh, Smiddy Hill, Blackerston, Retreat, Wareburn, Blackerstone.
1861 census: Longformacus, Horscupcleugh, Trotingshaw, Byrecleugh, Kippetlaw, Cattleshiel, Droneshiel, Caldra, Otterburn, Whitchester, Elmhaugh, Ellem, Elmford, Fellcleugh, Smiddyhill, Windshiel, Redpath, Dyeshaugh, Murton, Retreat, New Blackeston, Paradise, Old Blackerston, Weirburn.
The population has been recorded as follows: 1755 - 399, 1791 - 452, 1801 - 406, 1811 - 444, 1821 - 402, 1831 - 425, 1841 - 390, 1851 - 411, 1861 - 448.