New premises open - we have moved ! Extended opening ! More about our Archive and Search Room.
The Parish of Mordington lies on the east coast of Berwickshire, being bounded on the north by the Parish of Ayton, on the east by the North Sea, on the south by the County of Northumberland and on the west by the Parishes of Hutton, Foulden and Ayton.
Old Parish Birth Records exist from 1721 to 1854.
1841 census Mordington.
See our sales list for full details and cost of postage.
|Remains of the former Mordington Parish Church demolished 1989.|
Pre 1855 Memorial inscriptions of Berwickshire by David Cargill.
The Churches and Churchyards of Berwickshire by G. A. C. Binnie.
C.D. The Churches and Churchyards of Berwickshire by James Robson 1896.
Index to Particular Register of Sasines for Berwickshire.
Pigot's 1837 Directory of Berwickshire and Roxburghshire.
Rutherford's Southern Counties Register and Directory 1867.
C.C. Slater's Directory of Berwickshire 1903.
County Directory of Scotland 1912 - Borders Towns and Villages.
Smallholding Memories - Foulden Community Council.
Irregular marriages Lamberton Toll 1833 to 1849 by Arthur Brack.
Micro fiche. Lamberton toll Irregular Marriages 1804 to 1816.
do 1849 to 1855.
Please note that the heading Author includes persons who have compiled or transcribed records; and that the topics indexed, and the synopses are subjective opinions.
See the Sales List to buy copies of the magazines containing articles in which you're interested.
|Title||Synopsis||Size Description||Issue No||Author|
|A walk around Foulden in the thirties and forties||The following article was written by Jean Greenland for her granddaughters. She lived in the Manse at Foulden and traveled mostly on foot to all the surrounding area with her parents. Very good.||2 pages or more||32||Mrs. Jean Greenland|
|The Chisholm Highland Connection||The story of the Chisholm family, their involvement in medieval wars and their move from the Borders to the Highlands.||5 pages or more||73||Gregory Lauder-Frost|
The 20 most common surnames on gravestones recorded by us in the Foulden and Mordington monumental inscriptions volume are (number of gravestones in brackets): MURRAY (31), WILSON (22), RENTON (17), PURVES (17), SCOTT (15), JEFFREY (14), SMITH (13), WOOD (11), JOHNSTON (10), COWE (10), PATERSON (10), PATTERSON (8), DARLING (8), BROWN (8), THOMPSON (7), ANDERSON (7), DAVIDSON (7), MILLER (7), CRAIG (7), COCKBURN (7).
Mordington Parish Church;
also the following Maps; .
First Statistical Account by the Rev M George Drummond (click "browse scanned pages" and insert Parish name).
Second Statistical Account by the Rev. George Fulton Knight M.A. Minister (click "browse scanned pages" and insert Parish name).
RCHAMS website Scotland's Places contains details of;
Farm Horse tax 1797-1798.
Medical Officer's of Health Reports 1891.
Land Ownership Commission Report 1872 -1873. (available on C.D. in Society Archives).
1841 census: Mordington, Starchhouse, Clappers, Burnhouses, Lamberton, Lamberton Shiels, Ross, Catchapenny, Edrington,
Edrington Mill, Edrington Castle.
1851 census: Mordington, Lamberton, Lamberton Shiels, Ross Village, Starch Houses, Clappers, Edrington, Lambs Mill.
1861 census: Mordington, Starch House, Clappes, Lamberton, Lamberton Shiels, Catch-a-Penny, Ross Village, Edrington, Lambs Mill, Edrington Castle.
The population has been recorded as follows: 1755 - 181, 1801 - 330, 1811 - 275, 1821 - 302, 1831 - 301, 1841 - 392, 1851 - 427, 1861 - 377.