St. Boswells is a small Parish in north Roxburghshire which was once known as Lessudden. The administrative centre of Scottish Borders Council is situated in Newtown St Boswells. The Parish is bounded on the north by the Parishes of Melrose and Mertoun in Berwickshire, on the east by the Parish of Maxton, on the south by the Parish on Ancrum and on the west by the Parish of Bowden. St Boswells (and the more recent parish of Newtown St Boswells) is now linked with the combined parish of Maxton & Mertoun
St. Boswells (Lessudden) Memorial Inscriptions No 17 Roxburghshire, 1999
transcribed by Elspeth Ewan - contains:
list of ministers
War Memorials transcriptions
(see our sales list for full details and cost of postage)
Volumes available for consultation within our Archive
Change at St. Boswells by Lieut. Col. Frederick G Peake. - Galashiels 1961.
Old Melrose, St. Boswells and Bowden by July Olsen - Stenlake Publishing.
The Churches and Graveyards of Roxburghshire by Dr. G.A.C. Binnie 2001.
Rutherford's Southern Counties Register and Directory 1867.
County Directory of Scotland 1912 - Borders Towns and Villages.
CD-ROM Pigot's 1837 Directory of Berwickshire and Roxburghshire
CD-ROM Land Ownership Commission Report 1872 -1873.
No articles currently.
Map of St_boswells from Quarter-inch to the mile, Scotland, 1921-1923 or One-inch to the mile, Popular edition, Scotland, 1920-1930 by kind permission of the National Library of Scotland. Use the control at the top left of the map to zoom in or out and drag the map left, right, up, or down as you wish.
20 Most Common Surnames
The 20 most common surnames on gravestones recorded by us in the St. Boswells (Lessudden) monumental inscriptions volume are (number of gravestones in brackets): SCOTT (37), THOMSON (32), BROWN (19), ROBERTSON (19), WHITE (16), SMITH (16), WILSON (14), COCHRANE (13), WOOD (13), RUTHERFORD (13), SIMPSON (13), GRAY (12), RICHARDSON (12), HOGARTH (11), ELLIOT (11), TURNBULL (11), DOUGLAS (11), PATON (11), BALLANTYNE (11), YOUNG (11).