Our Exhibition, Archive and Search Room will be closed from Saturday, 20 December 2014 to Sunday, 4 January 2015 inclusive.
Mertoun is the south eastmost Parish in Berwickshire, being bounded on the north by the Parish of Earlston, on the east by the Parishes of Smailholm and Makerstoun, on the south by the Parish of Maxton and on the west by the Parishes of Maxton and Melrose.
Old Parish Birth Records exist from 1729 to 1854.
1841 census Mertoun.
See our sales list for full details and cost of postage.
|Mertoun Parish Church|
Pre 1855 Memorial inscriptions of Berwickshire by David Cargill.
The Churches and Churchyards of Berwickshire by G.A.C. Binnie.
C.D. The Churches and Churchyards of Berwickshire by James Robson 1896.
Index to Particular Register of Sasines for Berwickshire.
Pigot's 1837 Directory of Berwickshire and Roxburghshire.
Rutherford's Southern Counties Register and Directory 1867.
C.D. Slater's Directory of Berwickshire 1903.
County Directory of Scotland 1912 - Borders Towns and Villages.
No articles currently.
The 20 most common surnames on gravestones recorded by us in the Mertoun monumental inscriptions volume are (number of gravestones in brackets): SCOTT (12), THOMSON (9), HENDERSON (8), BROWN (7), HALL (6), MILLS (6), REDPATH (6), STEWART (6), DICKSON (6), BLACKADDER (6), ANDERSON (5), BALLANTYNE (5), LAWRIE (5), BAILLIE (4), DODDS (4), WOOD (4), TURNBULL (4), HOOD (4), KERR (4), HISLOP (4).
Mertoun Parish Church;
St. Boswells Village Site contains a history of Mertoun.
First Statistical Account by the Rev. Mr. James Duncan. (click "browse scanned paged" and enter Parish name).
Second Statistical Account by the Rev. James Duncan (click "browse scanned pages" and enter Parish name).
RCHAMS website Scotland's Places contains details of;
Farm Horse tax 1797-1798.
Medical Officer's of Health Reports 1891.
Land Ownership Commission Report 1872 -1873. (available on C.D. in Society Archives).
1841 census: Mertoun, Dryburgh, Blue Houses,
Wallace Lodge, Bemerside, Gladeswood, Whitrigbogg, Brotherstone, Third, Holydeanmill, Spadslee, Broomhall, Clinthill, Clint Mains,
Maidenhall, Danderhall, Butchercote, Boghall, Whitehouse,Newstead, Bellshill, Millfield, Dalcove Mains, Dalcove, Magdalen Hall.
1851 census: Mertoun, Dryburgh, Bemersyde, Wallace Lodge, Gladswood, Hallidean Mill, Spadslee, Buchercote, Third, Brotherstone, Whitrigbog, Whitridgehill, Blue Houses, Clinthill, Clintmains, Broomhall, Greendykes, Magdalene Hall, Maiden Hall, Danderhall, Boghall, Whitehouse, Newstead, Bells Hill, Dalcove, Millfield, Whitehouse.
1861 census: Mertoun, Bemersyde, Dryburgh, Hollydean Mill, Gladswood, Spadislee, Third, Brotherston, Whitrigbog, Redhouses, Cllinthill, Mertoun Mill, Clintmains, Broomhall, Greendikes, Magdalenhall, Bellshill, Danderhall, Boghall, Maidenhall, Dalcove, Newstead, Whitehouse, Butchercote, Millfield.
The population has been recorded as follows: 1755 - 502, 1791 -557, 1801 - 535, 1811 - 614, 1821 - 640, 1831 - 664, 1841 - 722, 1851 - 692, 1861 - 730.