Ashkirk is situated in east Roxburghshire being bounded on the on the east by the Parishes of Lilliesleaf and Wilton, on the south by the Parish of Roberton, on the south-west by the Parish of Kirkhope and on the north-west by the Parish of Selkirk all in Selkirkshire. The parish straddles the boundary between the former counties of Roxburgh and Selkirk. The parish is now linked with Selkirk
(See our sales list for full details and cost of postage.)
Volumes available for consultation within our Archive
Ashkirk pre. 1855 Memorial Inscription transcribed by The Selkirk Antiquarian Society, 1969.
The Churches and Graveyards of Roxburghshire by Dr. G. A. C. Binnie 2001.
Rutherford's Southern Counties Register and Directory 1867.
County Directory of Scotland 1912 - Borders Towns and Villages.
Ashkirk and its Monumental Inscriptions - Hawick Archaeological Society, 1962.
Ashkirk Old and New: Ghosts and Green Pastures - The Southern Annual, 1957.
CD-ROM Pigot's 1837 Directory of Berwickshire and Roxburghshire.
CD-ROM Land Ownership Commission Report 1872 -1873.
No articles currently.
Map of Ashkirk from Quarter-inch to the mile, Scotland, 1921-1923 or One-inch to the mile, Popular edition, Scotland, 1920-1930 by kind permission of the National Library of Scotland. Use the control at the top left of the map to zoom in or out and drag the map left, right, up, or down as you wish.
20 Most Common Surnames
The 20 most common surnames on gravestones recorded by us in the Ashkirk monumental inscriptions volume are (number of gravestones in brackets): SCOTT (58), HENDERSON (15), ELLIOT (14), THOMSON (10), BELL (10), JACKSON (9), GRIEVE (8), BROWN (8), DUNLOP (8), GRAY (8), ANDERSON (8), OGILVIE (7), DOUGLAS (7), MURRAY (7), HOGG (7), OLIVER (6), TURNBULL (6), WILSON (6), ARMSTRONG (6), BRYDON (5).