Our Archive and Search Room is open every Monday from 6pm to 8pm, and every Tuesday, Thursday and Friday from 10am to 4pm.
The old market town of Jedburgh is in south central Roxburghshire and is the first town that travelers encounter as they come into Scotland. The Augustinian Abbey - one of the four Border Abbeys - is a prominent presence in the town. The surrounding parishes are: Ancrum to the north, Crailing on the north-east, Oxnam on the east, Edgerston to the south, Southdean & Abbotrule to the south-west and Hobkirk and Bedrule on the west.
The modern parish of Jedburgh also includes Edgerston.
During a vist to Jedburgh in 1566, Mary, Queen of Scots visted James, Earl of Bothwell who was lying seriously wounded in Hermitage Castle. She was nursed in Mary, Queen of Scots House after this adventure. In 1823 a new gaol was built on the site of the medeival castle. Built in 1820 it is the only remaining example left in Scotland of a Howard Reform prison and is now a museum.
One of Hutton's Unconformities can be found at Inchbonny to the south of Jedburgh.
Old Parish Records cover the periods:
|Jedburgh Parish Church|
Gravestone inscriptions at Jedburgh Abbey have been transcribed but not yet published.
(See our sales list for full details and cost of postage.)
Please note that the heading Author includes persons who have compiled or transcribed records; and that the topics indexed, and the synopses are subjective opinions.
See the Sales List to buy copies of the magazines containing articles in which you're interested.
|Title||Synopsis||Size Description||Issue No||Author|
|William Lorrain-Borders Schoolmaster||During the last war attics were cleared of paper and, from an attic in Jedburgh there appeared a collection of papers concerning the Rector of Jedburgh Grammar School, William Lorrain.||less than 1 page||27||Audrey Mitchell|
|Records of a Noble Life - Rev Archibald William Murray 1811 to 1892||Born in Jedburgh, he was a missionary to Samoa and New Guinea, afterwards living in Australia till his death.||3 pages or more||58||Ronald Morrison|
|Jedburgh Place Names||Notes on a book 'Jedburgh Place Names' put together by Society member Norrie McLeish from articles written by George Watson.||less than 1 page||81|
|Australian deaths recorded in Hawick Advertiser part 2 1874-1890||Deaths in the Hawick Advertiser, it also covers other parts of the Borders.||4 pages or more||37||Marjorie Gavin|
|Maps||Brief notes about Borders maps available from the Society, and on the Internet.||1 page or more||43||Peter Munro|
|Totties in Sweden||Note about Thomas Tottie, from Jedburgh, born in 1664, a tobacco manufacturer, extracted from Th. A. Fischer’s The Scots in Sweden (Edinburgh, 1907).||less than 1 page||60|
|Death of Mr Alexander Jeffrey, Solicitor||Obituary that originally appeared in the Jedburgh Gazette and Border Courier in 1874. Alexander Jeffrey was a well-known Jedburgh antiquarian and historian.||2 pages or more||62|
|Jedburgh Border Games, 1919||Cannon-fire at 6am signalled the start of the Games. Has notes of winners of various events.||1 page or more||63||John Murray|
|Old Emigrant’s Diaries||Extract from diary of Margaret Charteris, wife of Thomas Hinshelwood, emigrant from Jedburgh, ship ‘Nebo’, to Queensland, in 1883.||4 pages or more||40||Jane Gibson|
|Border Murders||This is a stroll around the Borders looking into, with some depth, the murders in the 1800s.||2 pages or more||32||Norrie Mcleish|
|The Parish of Langlands||The parish of Langlands and the history of old leper hospital at Rutherford. Also the history of Langton that was absorbed into Wilton.||3 pages or more||35||Michael Langlands|
|Rev. Robert Douglas, 1747-1820 The father of Galashiels||The Rev. Robert Douglas, minister of Galashiels, 1747-1820, was a man of great ability and served his parishioners so well he was called "The Father of Galashiels".||2 pages or more||37||Donald Whyte|
|From the Scottish Borders to South Australia||An account of the lives of William Oliver his wife Elizabeth Turnbull who were married at Jedburgh in1833 who emigrated to South Australia, their family and subsequent life, Contains much genealogy and notes on the Oliver DNA project.||5 pages or more||78||Ruth Oliver|
|Family History Records||An archivist from the Heritage Hub in Hawick discusses a range of records that can be used to provide a fuller picture of our ancestors||5 pages or more||70||Juline Baird|
|The Chisholms: Highland Names in the Borders?||This is not just about the Chisholms, it delves into place names in the Borders, why they changed their names and the Highland connections.||4 pages or more||28||Michael Robson|
|Newspapers published in the Borders||Border newspapers published in the Borders. 65 in total.||2 pages or more||5||Peter Elliot|
|James Veitch - Border Astronomer||Shot extract of a talk given by Mr. Bill Veitch to the Society on the 15th of May 1994.||less than 1 page||26||Bill Veitch|
|James Watson (Author and Historian of Jedburgh Abbey)||Account of the life of James Watson, weaver, grocer, poet and writer of Jedburgh, the author's great grandfather, his descendants, and emigration to USA and Canada.||10 pages or more||68||Rachel (Thomson) Falldien|
|Snowstorm in the Cheviots||A young shepherd gets lost in the snow and is frozen to death. There's also a specification for shepherds boots.||2 pages or more||69||Jean Fleming|
|New Collections at the Heritage Hub||County council records, diaries & estate papers were identified amongst the backlog of un-catalogued material at the Scottish Borders Archive.||4 pages or more||69||Juline Baird|
|Convicts Transported to Western Australia in 1858 aboard the 'Edwin Fox'||A list of Scottish convicts transported to Australia on the "Edwin Fox". Reprinted from Bedfordshire Family History Society Journal||2 pages or more||70||Lynn Manning|
The following Newspapers were published in Jedburgh;
Jedburgh Official Website.
A 19th Century description of the Town Jedforest RFC Stobie's Map of Roxburghshire of 1770.
The RCAHMS website Scotland's Places contains details of;
1841 census: Jedburgh, Castle Gate, Canongate, Backgate, Townfoot, Pleasants, Bongate, Old Bridge End, Stewartfield, Chapmanside, Boundary Park, Boundaries, Kenmuir, Abbey Bridge End, Hindfield, Honeyfield, Inchbonny, Allars, Castle Hill, Glenburnhall, Bankhead, Cringlebank, Crailinghall, Crailighall Mill, Birneyrig, Cragshiel, Samiston, Renniston, Harden Peel, Nether Wells, Over Wells, Pityme, Thickside, Over Wells, Scraesburgh, Fendiehall, Mossburnford, Kersheugh, Farniehirst Mill, Farniehirst, Lochend, Howden, Hunthill, Todlaw, Lanton, Lantonhill, Slatehouse, Hopehouse, Willies Crook, Monklaw, Timpendean, Lightpipehall, Hundalee, Graypeel, Linthaughlee, Blackburn, Linthaugh, Fair's Houses, Deep Cleugh, Longlee, Gilliestongues, Swinnie, Swinnie Bar, Swinnie Moorfoot, Dunion, Larkhall, Glenburnhall, Lantonpark, Broomhall, Lantonhall, Bonjedd, Sharplaw, Ancrum Bridge, Round Haugh, Jerdonfield, Bonjedward, Mountholly, Woodend, Newmill, Bonjed Mill, Walkersknow, Walkmill, Jedfoot, Union Mount, Ulston, Old Hall, Stewartfield, Edgerston, Rink, Rigg, Camphouse, Camptown, Earlsheugh, Old Jeddart, Tifts, Tofts, Brundenlaws, Shielknow, Lamblairknowes, Arks, Huntford Shaw, Broombanks, Hawse.
1851 census: Jedburgh, Townhall, Old Jale, Paradise Vale, Friars, Anna Cottage, Barracks, Pleasants, Bongate,Old Bridge End, Boundaries, Abbey Bridge, Cannongate, Bongate Mill, New Bongate, Jedbank, Bankend, Hindhousefield, Kenmuir, Allars Bank, Kenmuir, Inch Bonny, Allars Mill, Castle Wood, Glenburn, Annfield, Howden, Hunthill, Thickside, Overwells, Netherwells, Cringle Bank, Crailinghall, Samieston, Berneyrig, Rannieston, Hardenpeel, Scraesburgh, Fendyhall, Mossburnford, Kerrsheugh, Ferneyherst, Lightpipehall,, Hundalee, Hundalee Mill, Todlaw, Lighthaughlee, Lighthaugh, Blackburn, Langlee, Gilliestongues, Swinnie, Moorfoot, Larkhall, Glenburnhall, Glenburn Square, Lanton, East Parks, Wet Parks, Lanton Hill, Lanton Craig, Scleted House, Hopehouse, Monklaw, Broomhall, Weaselton, Timpendean, Broomknoll, Lanton Hall, Lanton Mill, Sharplaw Mains, Sharplaw, Check Bar, Jerdonfield, Bonjedward, Townhead, Jedfoot, Mountholy, Walkersknow, New Mill, Woodend, Old Hall, Ulston, Wester Ulston, Esater Ulston, Pettymee, Wildcatgate, Tofts, Brundenlaws, Shielknows, Lamblair Know, Broombanks, Edgerston Rig, Rink, Camptown, Earlsheugh, Old Jeddart.
1861 census: Hunthill, Howden, Royal burgh, The Prison, Lochend, Annfield, Over & Nether Wells, Cringlebank, Crailinghall, Old Hall, Samieston, Birneyrig, Renniston, Pleasants, Hardenpeel, Scraesburgh, Mossburnford, Kersheugh, Ferniehurst, Todlaw, Scaurs, Lightpipe Hall, Hundalee, Linthaugh, Langlee, Gilliestongues, Swinnie, Larkhall, Glenburn, Lanton Village, Tudhope, Monklaw, Timpendean, Old Hall, Hartrigge, Pityme, Ulston, Mounthooly, Roundhaugh Bonejedward, Cleikhimin Toll, Sharplaw, Bongate, Kenmore, Allar Bank, Inchbonny, Union Poorhouse.
The population has been recorded as follows: