Our Archive and Search Room is open every Tuesday and Thursday from 10am to 4pm; and by appointment only on Mondays from 6pm to 8pm and on Fridays from 10am to 4pm.
From March to October, we're open without appointment on Mondays from 6pm to 8pm and on Fridays from 10am to 4pm.
The joint Parishes of Swinton and Simprim (united in 1761) are situated in the south east of Berwickshire, being bounded on the north by the Parishes of Edrom and Whitsome, on the east by the Parish of Ladykirk, on the south by the Parish of Coldstream and on the east by the Parishes of Eccles and Fogo.
Old Parish Birth Records exist from 1668 to 1674 and from 1700 to 1854.
1841 census Swinton.
The Memorial Inscriptions have not been transcribed except as below.
See our sales list for full details and cost of postage.
|Swinton Parish Church|
Pre 1855 Memorial inscriptions of Berwickshire by David Cargill.
The Churches and Churchyards of Berwickshire by G.A.C. Binnie.
C.D. The Churches and Churchyards of Berwickshire by James Robson 1896.
Trotter of Prentonan by George Baird Trotter.
Index to Particular Register of Sasines for Berwickshire.
Pigot's 1837 Directory of Berwickshire and Roxburghshire.
Rutherford's Southern Counties Register and Directory 1867.
C.D. Slater's Directory of Berwickshire 1903.
County Directory of Scotland 1912 - Borders Towns and Villages.
Please note that the heading Author includes persons who have compiled or transcribed records; and that the topics indexed, and the synopses are subjective opinions.
See the Sales List to buy copies of the magazines containing articles in which you're interested.
|Title||Synopsis||Size Description||Issue No||Author|
|The Story of a Stray||Account of Robert Burgon, a fisherman from Berwick who was drowned in 1850 with William Burgeon, Joseph Cowlin, George Swinton, and the boy David Lyle, and buried in Inverbervie.||2 pages or more||47||Murray Nicoll|
Swinton Parish Church;
Swinton Free Church;
History of the family of Swinton .
Photographs and transcriptions of some 'Moffat' stones in Swinton Churchyard.
First Statistical Account by the Rev. George Cupples. (click "browse scanned images" and insert Parish name).
Second Statistical Account by the Rev James Logan (click "browse scanned images" and insert Parish name).
RCHAMS website Scotland's Places contains photographs of Swinton and Simprim and details of;
Farm Horse tax 1797-1798.
Medical Officer's of Health Reports 1891.
Land Ownership Commission Report 1872 -1873. (available on C.D. in Society Archives).
1841 census: Swinton, Mountfair, Simprim Mains, Simprim, Butterlaw, Little Swinton,
Swinton Hill, South Greenriggs, Crowfoot Bank, Bitterigside, Harcase Hill, Longbank, Old Longbank, Delgado, Bridge End,
1851 census: Swinton, Fiddler's Hall, Swinton Quarter, Greenriggs, Mountfair, Swinton Hill, Simpim, Simprim Mains, Butterlaw, Little Swinton, Swinton Mill, Longbank, Harcase, Crowfoot, Bitterickside.
1861 census: Swinton, Greenriggs, Swinton Quarter, Mountfair, Simprim Mains, Simprim, Swinton Hill, Fiddlers Hall, Bridgend, Butterlaw, Little Swinton, Swinton Mill, Longbank, Harcasehill, Crowfootbank.
The population has been recorded as follows: 1755 - 494, 1791 -898, 1801 - 875, 1811 - 866, 1821 - 919, 1831 - 971, 1841 - 1095, 1851 - 994, 1861 - 964.